By Debbs Hammett
Let’s face it ladies, there are two little words that immediately make us think of lightening the menu and slimming down swimsuit season! The same basic rules apply to the decorative items in your home. Summer is a great time to lighten it up and slim it down! And it doesn’t have to cost a fortune.
Here are some of my favorite ideas for summer decorating:
- The very things that make your home warm and cozy feeling in the fall and winter will cause it to appear cluttered and closed-in during the warm months. So remove everything that isn’t necessary. De-clutter! This costs nothing but time and will make your space appear instantly larger, lighter and brighter.
- When it’s hot, keep it simple! Having fewer items to clean is a bonus with busy summer schedules. So, think cleaner and lighter when making choices for centerpieces, mantle displays and other decorative objects.
- Replace some of the deeper, warmer-toned decorative items such as pillows and throws with lighter versions to give your room a cool, new look.
- Bring color and interest to the fireplace when not in use by making an eye-catching arrangement for your hearth. Simply take three terra cotta pots planted with one floral bush each and finished off with some trailing greenery and moss. Place the three pots into a large basket or arrange in front of the firebox.
- Use clear class vases for flowers and other small ornamental objects (for my dining room table I used potpourri, candles and a ceramic pear; think outside the box when choosing.) The glass allows light to bounce through and appear less weighty than their ceramic counterparts. Perfect for swimsuit season!
Look around your house and see if there are ways you can lighten up! I think you’ll be amazed at what a difference a few small changes can make.
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 (ESV)
Next time look for my version of reduce, reuse, recycle Repaint, Repurpose, Renew, Decorating Ideas on a Budget!
(Debbs and Pete, her husband of 32 years, have three grown children. They have great fun with their two grandsons and granddaughter. Debbs has worked with the Keepers Ministry for the past year as Co-Leader and in Ministry Development.)
Click on the fifth button above to get a printer friendly version of this post.