Building Sibling Relationships
Being a mom of four boys, I know how it feels to have children that struggle to get along. We have encountered seasons when two brothers were continuously squabbling and bickering and I would find myself saying "Please don't even look at each other." But over the years, we have seen brothers that were constantly at odds become the best of friends. This has happened more than once and this makes my heart so happy. Here are a few tools for building relationships with siblings.
1. We tell them "You have to build your relationships with your brothers. We can give consequences but we cannot make your brothers like you."
2. We encourage them to be peacemakers. We tell them "When you walk into a room, you have a choice to be a peacemaker or a troublemaker."
3. We remind them that God blesses the peacemakers. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." Matthew 5:9
4. We try to praise them when they overlook an offense or do an act of kindness for a brother.
4. We try to refrain from comparing them to one another and we attempt to bring attention to their individual strengths and gifts.
6. We pray with them and for them regarding their relationships. Prayer is absolutely our greatest tool.
Feel free to share a tool that helps you! Hugs sweet mamas, Steph