Chocolate Energy Bars
Do you LOVE No-Bake Cookies? Or you might refer to them as Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. That ooey-gooey chocolate mess was the first thing I learned to make from scratch when I was a little girl. So, when I heard about a protein bar that resembles those little goodies, I had to give it a try.
I obtained this recipe many years ago for my boys to help them with their fitness program. However, once I read the ingredients I wasn't sure how healthy they were, but rather it was a recipe for them to gain weight/muscle (I know...it makes me sick too that there are people in this world that must work at it). I changed some things in them to make it healthy for someone like me. I have continued to change it and allow it to evolve as I have learned more and more about fitness and health.
These could certainly take the place of No-Bake Cookies or Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies or whatever you choose as your favorite name for them.
I hope you enjoy them!!
In His Love, Lori
CHOCOLATE ENERGY BARS from Lori Merrill
- 1 ¼ cup honey (local honey is better for you)
- ½ cup almond butter or natural peanut butter
- ½ cup almond milk or cashew milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup Kerry gold butter
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder (I use Viva Naturals Certified Organic Cacao Powder, but you can use cocoa powder)
- 2 cups protein powder
- Heat butter in large pot. Add honey, cacao powder and milk.
- Stir ingredients together well and heat until it boils.
- Then boil 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn heat off and stir in protein powder into the chocolate mix until dissolved.
- Add peanut butter and stir until well blended.
- Add vanilla. Mix well.
- Remove from stove and then mix in oatmeal.
- Put mixture into 9 x 13 glass dish and spread evenly, pressing as you spread it.
- Put in refrigerator until firm.
- Cut into bars and wrap each bar in Saran Wrap or wax paper.
- Store in fridge so they are easy to grab and go!