Pumpkin Cookie & Pumpkin Shaped Shortbread Cookie Recipes
The month of October is here and the seasons are changing. For most of us there is a chill in the air, possibly snow on the ground, and the beautiful colors of fall are displaying God’s glory in nature. And there are pumpkins and more pumpkins everywhere you look. So in honor of the season, I want to share two easy, delicious, and fun cookie recipes that kids (young and old) will love to make and eat. In fact, the Pumpkin Cookies are a family favorite that I received from my friend Lisa over 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy both of these recipes as much as we have through the years!
In His Love,
Pumpkin Cookies with Butter Frosting
A. Pumpkin Cookies
- Cream: Mix 1 cup sugar + 1 cup shortening (Note: Lori reduces the shortening to ½ cup and adds ½ cup of Kerrygold butter)
- Add: 1 cup pumpkin + 1 beaten egg + 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Then Add: 2.5 cups flour + 1 teaspoon baking soda + 2 teaspoons baking powder + ½ teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Combine all ingredients. Drop by teaspoons onto cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Set out and let cool.
B. Butter Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk (or half & half)
Beat well until smooth and spreadable.
Frost cookies when cookies are completely cool.
Pumpkin Shaped Shortbread Cookies
A. Shortbread Cookies
- 3/4 pound butter at room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
B. To Turn into Pumpkins
- orange gel food coloring--it will mix into the dough more easily than the liquid variety
- green sour punch straws
- Mix butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Add vanilla.
- Sift flour and salt together. Add to butter and sugar in mixer and mix.
- Add orange gel food color to achieve color you desire
- Use a large cookie scoop (packed) to make the pumpkin shape you want.
- Use a knife to make the lines going down the sides of the pumpkin shaped dough. It works best to start at the top and make an X at the top and follow the lines down the sides.
Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are golden.
- Once the cookies are out of the oven and while they are still hot, place cut 1/2" green sour punch straws in the top to make the stem.
To see the original post with suggestions and photos you can go to http://www.keepersministry.com/keepers-connection-blog/m.blog/74/pumpkin-shortbread-cookies